Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What is the best way to lower cholesterol without the use of western medicine?

What is the best way to lower cholestrol without the use of western medicine? Iv heard that cutting out meat and fatty foods alone may not be the answer as it is the body that makes our own cholestrol - is this true? Please help
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Medical Topics
  User's Response
's  Response
Eating the food is only one cause of high cholesterol. The liver makes cholesterol on its own. As far as other methods to help get rid of it are concerned, try using the b vitamin called Niacin. The other thing that you have to be aware of is that Homocystein is a by product of cholesterol conversion Use folic acid to prevent homocystein.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Have there been any studies to clarify the effects of cholesterol on the body. If I exercise regularly, but my cholesterol is borderline, should I be concerned? I believe that LDL is used to repair tissue, and that slightly elevated LDL should be acceptable for people who aren t on the couch all day. Statistics show 10% chance for people with high cholesterol from 35-45 of having Heart Attack. I would like to know what differentiates that 90%. Of course, without detailed medical history one can never know for certain, but some doctors seem to focus on the number so intently, and I don t see any answers on the web with any precision.

doctor1 MD

Hi, Iam 32 yrs old ( south indian) and I have 250 levels of cholesterol and I have acid reflux too. For that My doctor have prescribed to take Rosuvas 10 mg in the night and Nexpro 20 mg in the morning for acid reflux - 12 weeks. Considering my age If i take the tablets for 12 weeks and stopped taking it, Will it affect the overall blood stream or I need to be taking the cholesterol lowering drugs for the rest of my life? any side effects of using rosuvas for prolonged time?

doctor1 MD

I am a 32 yr old male. I am 6 tall and weigh 237lbs. I do take amlodipine for high blood pressure, have been on it for 3 years. I went in for a Dr. visit to have some blood work done. The results were scary. Overall cholesterol is 274, LDL 214, HDL 41, Triglyceride 94. The Dr. wants to put me on meds asap. My question is can this cholesterol problem be treated without the use of meds or are my levels too high and am I in danger of suffering a heart attack or stroke. I have a 2 year old and I intend to stick around.

Recent questions on  Cholesterol

doctor1 MD

my dad is an 82 year old, asian male, w/ history of cardiomyopathy, hypertention and borderline diabetes. He has ICD implanted on October 2006.He was seen recently for his complaint of bilateral edema and pain on his feet. Though the swelling does not occur at the same time. He s been experiencing the pain and swelling since August of 2010. The swelling and pain is alternating on each feet. He shows elevation on his uric acid level and responds on Naproxen. Due to his other medical condition, the provider has concern on putting him on Naproxen for a long period of time. His most recent lab results performed on 12/21/10 shows the following: Glucose: 114, Bun : 30, Creatinine 2.0, eGFR- other : 34, eGFR African American : 41, Calcium : 9.4, Total Protein : 8.6, Albumin : 3.7, Bilirubin, Total : 0.7 Alakaline Phosphatase : 121, AST : 23, ALT : 42, Sodium : 140, Potassium : 3.9, Chloride : 104, CO2: 28, Cholesterol : 137, Triglyceride : 214, HDL : 34, LDL (Calculated) :60, Cholesterol: HDL Ratio: 4.0, LDL:HdL Ratio: 1.76, VLDL (Calculate) 43, Abs. Monocyte: 0.6, Abs. Eosinophil : 0.2, Abs. Basophil : 0.0, PSA, Free: 0.29, PSA Total : 0.63, PSA, Free% Calc : 46, Free T4 : 1.56, TSH : 1.27, WBC Count: 7.4, RBC Count : 4.59, Hemoglobin : 14.2, Hematocrit : 41.5, MCV : 90, MCH : 90, MCHC : 34.2, RDW: 13.2, Platelet Count: 210, Diff Type : automated, Neutrophil: 60, Lymphocytes: 28, Monocyte: 9, Eosinophil: 3, Basophil: 0, aba. Neutrophil : 4.4, Aba. Lymphocite: 2.1. An X-ray of his bilateral ankle taken on 12/21/10 shows moderate degenerative change. Three views of each ankle were obtained for a total of six views. Bony mineralization is normal. No fracture or acute osseous abnormality is evident. The joint spaces are well maintained with minor osteophyte formation. He is presently scheduled for his ICD battery replacement on February 4, 2011. Today, I ll take him for the following lab works: Renal Panel, 24-hr Urine Protein and Creatine and Hba1c. The patient is currently taking the following medication: Micardis 40mg once a day, Coreg 6.25 Twice a day, Furosemide 80mg Twice a day, Theragran-M once a day, Zocor 40mg once daily, Singulair 10mg once daily. I am his daughter and I am the one responsible for his health care. Thank you very much for your time. I need your guidance. I have concern about his stability prior to his scheduled procedure. I know that it is a n out-patient procedure. However, I cannot afford to overlook any other possible medical condition. I look forward to your reply.

doctor1 MD

I have had cold hands all my life, and in general have been always on the cold side. I have had had back and sciatic related leg/foot pain issues for the last four years involving L4 region. I have been diagnosed with epilepsy 12 plus years ago - coinciding, time wise, with a stressful marital divorce. I question stress and or sleep apnea as a trigger, since the University of Cincinnati is studying a possible link to the apnea and epilepsy. I have been totally controlled for over 10 years with dilantin and Keppra (generic) and would love to get off medication, if not needed. Recently, I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and wear an oral appliance which is working very well. Now recently, I am experiencing an increase in numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. Also, about six/seven years ago, I started having a series of skin eruptions - small, itchy, and crusty - occurring anywhere on my body, mostly on my trunk. They are more intense initially then subside yet leaving a small, permanent and crusty eruption which may flare up on occasions. A dermatologist diagnosed this as Grover s disease. My last blood tests were mostly normal except for a high good cholesterol reading, which my M.D. stated out weighed the overall high cholesterol reading. First, what is your opinion on the skin eruptions, and secondly, how might my other issues be perceived. My blood sugar levels have been fine over the years, yet I do wonder about type two diabetes particularly with the tingling extremities. I also wonder about a possible thyroid involvement, since the blood tests have revealed a borderline reading. No history in the family of either issue. My back issue has improved recently - curiously, as the tingling became more apparent. Connection? With the present state of hurry-up office visits, my questions are superfluously addressed. - frustration. Thank you for your opinion!

doctor1 MD

I am a breast cancer survivor. I have had a pain under my right rib cage for two months now. Gastronomic said it was a pulled muscle. PCP ordered ultrasound and bloodwork. I am not overweight but labs showed elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. I do not have a gall bladder. Ultrasound showed discrepancies in liver. Had a Ct scan of liver a week ago but have heard nothing back yet. This morning I felt a knot under my rib cage towards my back. My PCP s nurse told me that my liver appeared fatty on the ultrasound. What could this be?

doctor1 MD

hi,im feeling hungry all the time eventhough ive ate a lot,with my lab test mt triglicerot effectiveides is high,cholesterol an sgpt,my doctor prescribed me a ursodeoxycholic acid,and omeprazole, but it seems meds are not effective for almost 2wks taking it?

doctor1 MD

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific diet to control the problem areas and medications if any?

doctor1 MD

My Mother has gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.