• question-icon

What is the best treatment for pain from brachial plexus avulsion?

I have been in extreme pain from a brachial plexus nerve avulsion C 7,8 ,T1,2 and spi.since 2003. The meds I've been taking 3600 mg.Gab, 100 mg. Methadone, 40 mg. Baclofen and 30 mg. Cymbalta cover about 50% of the pain. My Pain Specialist has been pressuring me for years for a scs implant for years and I finally agreed, however I then find out I have to wait 1 year to see the Neurosurgeon. This is suppose to be the best pain clinic in Ontario St. Joseph's Hospital London Ontario. Problem is all or most of the info from people on online forms who have spinal cord stimulator implants are not as positive as the Doctors. Do any Doctors available have any direct knowledge on this subject ?
Fri, 14 Feb 2014
Neurologist 's  Response

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that you have been suffering from neuropathic pain for more than 10 years, and various pain medications have only partially helped you. I did not see pregabalin (lyrica) in your list of medications used. If that is the case, you can give pregabalin a try, as many people improve with that.

Regarding spinal cord stimulator, it is an excellent option for pain control, however, just like other pain relief measures, it succeeds only in a proportion of patients. In the best pain centres, acs implant may succeed in only about 60-70% of people.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in