What is the best medicine for hair fall?

What is the best medicine for hair fall? Is there any medicine to permanently cure this problem?
Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Medical Procedures ,   ,  

Dear Ved.

I read with interest quite a few remedies that some of my erstwhile colleagues (includes a pain & palliative medicine specialist!) & some fellow baldies have suggested or recommended as medicines for hair fall. I state very categorically "Like many other medical conditions, baldness can be treated, but not cured"!!

Having said that, to begin with, hair loss or 'trichology' demands that at the outset, one must assess the 'type' of hair fall & the 'ammount' of hair fall. The age old hair-pull test has given way to more sophisticated scanners & computer assisted software/hardware based assessment options!

Most people dont realise that a hair loss of 50-100/day is actually quite the norm. Stress (physical, delivery/post-partum, emotional) plays a big role in most folk. Water characteristics & local practices (hair brading/straightening) & fashion statements too play their part in hair fall!

Beginning in the 1980s, drug therapy has given a very minor improvement option for baldness in both men and women. Minoxidil & its derivatives & Finasteride are still the Gold standard as far as medications go that work even for a male pattern baldness.

Then we have hair transplantation as a tool largely centred around strip grafting & follicular transplant units being grafted & various newer tools like lasers are being used to in effect sharpen the same old procedure.

Many laser light therapies (LLT) have sprung up from head chambers to combs that promise much but deliver little. Mesotherapy (injection of various hair-raising cocktails) also is in a similar category!

Grateloupia Elliptica..a red seaweed native to Jeju Island, South Korea, has the potential to treat androgenic alopecia as well as alopecia areata & is a more recent addition to the armementarium

Various dietary supplements too (some with an oral equivalent of minoxidil called TRX2 also promise much but are not FDA approved as yet as they dont qualify as drugs.

Grandmother's remedies & Alternative medicine remedies are dime a dozen in addition to ones mentioned above & many promise hair oils (never understood how any of these work given they have to work from the outside & the skin interface is not as permeable in an adult as opposed to a neonate) & certain dermatologists' too are keeping things in their family business' by marketing their mothers' home-made oil therapies!

Stem cell research & Genetics of late have sprung up with few recent developments & a process known as Hair Multiplication (HM) or hair cloning is the recent rage & is being developed by companies in the UK/US & is probably one to watch closely over the next decade.

In conclusion, "Horses for courses" is a phrase probably apt in the management of hair fall...there is No Best medicine..it all depends on the type of hair fall & individual perceptions therof. "Bald is Beautiful" or "More face to kiss" are often catch phrases being bandied about by the more hirsuite challenged! Persis Khambatta perhaps was the first Indian woman in the 80's if i remember correctly who made a fashion statement by going 'skinheaded' to capture a role in the then famous popular Hollywood sci-fi series "Star Trek"! Closer home today, no more are only the 'baddies' portrayed as 'bald' in Bollywood.

I do hope i have managed to give you a comprehensive yet 'objective' view of the small matter of medicines for hair fall as briefly as can put it. For further discussions &/or available treatments in the market please do visit any of the dermatologists on the healthcaremagic.com portal or in their clinics depending on which part of the world you hail from!

Personally, i have started a Dermatology & Cosmetology unit recently @ Vikram Hospital, Bangalore, India & perform all these standard procedures like Mesotherapy et al with due diligence after taking the patient into confidence. I also do Hair Transplantation procedures @ one of my other locations in a different part of the city..the Asian Skin Institute, Bangalore, India (reputed to be the first hair transplantation unit in India & at the time a novel idea with israeli collaboration) in collaboration with a team of doctors' under the aegis of BNR hospitals.

Here's wishing you a "Good Hair Day" & do note.." Bhal or Bald"...it's a personal choice..All the Best!

Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist

Vikram Hospital, Bangalore, India

Acupressure Specialist Dr. Satyanarayan Kabra's  Response
hi ved.
if you are suffering from large hair fall you can rub your both hands nains each over other. this is the best treatment we suggest relating to accupressure. it will be really hepful to you.
Dr.satyanarayan Kabra
There is a special tonic for Hair Loss as well Anti-dandruff, 2 in 1. Apply the tonic on your scalp once in a week. Dandruff will disappear in 2 weeks and hair loss will reduce considerably. Very effective and too much in demand in India as well as abroad. For more details:

Contact: Dr. Tanya
9222999367
Dermatologist Dr. Tanumay Raychaudhury's  Response
There are many reasons for hair loss, and the drug of choice is decided by knowing the root cause. Please visit a dermatologist.
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist Dr. Prof Sukdev Nayak's  Response
All the remedies for hair fall are controversial. However pranayam and breathing exercise are effective.
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Hi! ved prakash,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,
If your hair loss is genetic then it is difficult to get a permanent result just with medicines.But yes medicines can give you a long term relief ...depends how long you can use it.Kindly mention your age so that i can suggest you best of the medicines.If you are above 18 yrs ,you can start using MINTOP 10% lotion topically on scalp once or twice a day for a month.Along with this Tab FINAX (1mg) can be taken orally once a day for 6 months.At my clinic at apollo hospital ,bhilai ,we have lasers to stimulate hair follicles which is the latest.We also give meso therapy inj on scalp for the same.The total duration of the treatment is approx 6-8 months .And if some body has lost his hair completely then we MICRO FOLLICULAR HAIR TRANSPLANTATION ,which can give you permanent hair which grows on its own.Consult a good dermatologist(allopathy)for all your hair problems.
take care ,
Dr.Chawda
manoj's  Response
If anyone knows pls let me know also. I have same problem for many years and almost bald now- have tried all kind of medicines and all kinds of oil- allopathy, homeopathy Ayurveda all- no use.
testin8's  Response
I read that genetic is main thing for hair fall. Most medicines are only to make money because people are very afraid of hair fall and so buy any medicine
nikithaniki's  Response
Before you go to the doctor worried about a major vitamin deficiency, take deep breaths. Hair loss is typically normal, especially in the fall months. Why? Read on. Everyone loses between 40 and 120 strands a day, depending on how much hair you have, your age and your hair's growth cycle. People with fine hair tend to have more of it and therefore will lose more of it than their thicker-haired sisters and brothers. Your hair also thins as you get older, particularly after menopause for women. But unlike aging men, the thinning tends to stop after awhile. Here are common causes of thinning and hair loss: 1. Seasonality. You'll lose the most hair in the fall -- typically November and December when hair reaches maturity in its growth cycle. 2. Diet. Hair loss can occur through poor dieting. According to dermatologist George Cotsarelis, M.D., director of the University of Pennsylvania Hair and Scalp Clinic, iron deficiency may be the cause. He states in the April 2006 issue of "Ladies Home Journal," i
nikithaniki's  Response
Our hair loss treatments have been in use for over three thousand years in a variety of forms. This hair loss products was discovered in its crude form in the foothills of the Himalayas in India, being applied to scalps by the indigenous populations. Almost the entire populations of this area have a full, beautiful, healthy head of hair. Statistically, hair loss is a common universal problem; in a given population, at least 40% of men (and some women) are either bald or have thinning hair. This crude extract of herbs acted as a rejuvenator of hair and a cleanser of the scalp. The local populations apply the crude version of herbal extracts derived from leaves of rare plants that wildly grow on the higher peaks of the mountainous regions they live in. These people do not consciously use it as a hair loss treatment; instead, it is a part of daily regimen they found their fathers and forefathers going through and so they continue it. The result is a thick, beautiful and healthy head of hair, free of dandruff or
test's  Response
:cry: hi im suffering hair loss since 2years and my scalp is visible.i wanna undergo hair transplant surgery,so let me know how much would it cost
yashduggal's  Response

no, there is no medicine for hair fall control , but you can stop for some years by using minioxodil with finasteride  and this will help u  till the time u don't  stop using this.

thushan's  Response
hi guy !
im just 21 year now . last two months im lossing my hair .
plzzzz any one help me to stop it
Amjad Ali's  Response
Am from Chennai .advise me any hair transplantation specialist in chennai .Also can someone discuss about the sideeffects of it.
Homeopath Dr. P.LIVINGSTON's  Response
Hair Fall has many causes ..it may be due to deficiency..or skin disease of scalp..or as a result of severe acute diseases or due genetic problem..applying external applications such as oil , shampoo, hair cream etc do not produce desirable results .we have to first clearly find out the cause.If cause is found the condition can be effectively treated with internal homoeopathic remedies.Genetic remedies are also available in homoeo which can cure genetic ,constituional diseases.So donot lose hope ..consult a good qualified homoeopath.
Akshat's  Response
In Hair transplant the surgeon puts the hair from thick regions to the bald regions. So it is nothing like u should worry about it. It is just a redistribution of hair. It is done by applying local anesthesia. Small needles are used to numb an area of normal hair growth on the back of the scalp and small groups of hairs, or individual hairs, are separated out from the removed scalp using a magnifying lens and sharp blade. I think this is how it works :) Rest about the price i think it is pretty affordable these days.
Looka's  Response
You can see a qualified trichologist if available in Chennai. Do not worry about the side effects. Finding the right trichologist is important here. There are hardly any effects apart from the usual pain because of surgery
tineordineza@yahoo.com's  Response

what is this medicine that your want to introduce?

kps's  Response
hi man,eat more Vitamin A, and B Complex supplements. Eat more fish, coconut and eggs. If hairfall is due to stress, you need to first tackle your stress before anything can be done. Try taking up meditation and yoga. Upside-down yoga poses which send circulation to the head are very good for combating hairfall. When you apply hair oil, try and steam your hair as well so that the oil penetrates the hair shaft. Egg is an excellent conditioner too. Massage your hair regularly to improve circulation.
Malani's  Response
To be honest, there are topical medicines like Minoxidil (generic name). It's like an oil that you apply to your scalp.It is an OTC but there's a variation with higher concentration that requires physician's prescription.If the hairloss is due to hereditary reasons then minox may not be able to help you.You can go for hair transplant if it veryimportant for you. You can also try a cheaper option by trying hair weaving.

« Previous 1 2 Next »