• question-icon

What is slightly raised, painful area on temple post an injury suggestive of?

I fell down the stairs 3 days ago while picking up my 2 year old son while on the stairs. He is completely fine and I took most of the hit when we fell. I hit my shoulder and leg on the stairs and hit my head on the floor of the landing. These areas are fine. However, my son s chin hit the right side of my head and I have a bump above my temple and under the hairline. It is painful, throbbing at times, and slightly raised, but no bruising or visible trauma. I ve had a dull headache since and have been trying to treat it with OTC pain relievers with no help. I have no other signs or symptoms of head injury or concussion. Do I need to see a doctor or should I assume it s just a sensitive area and it will heal itself in a few days? Thank you!
Tue, 14 Jan 2020

It could be a simple hematoma. It is quite common after blunt trauma. It is nothing but a collection of blood underneath the skin following a blunt trauma.

Generally, it will settle by itself. You can apply warm compression for symptomatic relief. If symptoms persist, it is better to consult a physician and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician