What is more costly in India - Bypass or Angioplasty?

What costs more between the above two??.....What is more effective??
Fri, 18 Dec 2009
's  Response
Do not go after cost of the proceedure or surgery. Leave it to a good doctor and he will decide what is required to be done for your heart. Bypass is done for acute blockage in all the vessels (Arteries) by harvesting viens from other part of the body. This should cost something more than other procedures but it is vary effective. There are many hospitals and Surgeons available in India and they are doing it sucessfuly. For this you have to be in the hospital for about 10 days. Angioplasty is done where the blockage in the viens are in the inital stage and not much. This is a proceedure done in continuation of angiogram. They also put STENTS to keep the vessels in open condition. Again stenting will cost almost like Bypass surgery and angio plasty only will cost less. Now a days the hospitals have different package deals and you can enquire and take a package which will be suiting you. This proceedure would require a mere 3 days hospitalisation. In my opinion it is better to get CABG (Coranary Artery Bypass Grafting) though it will cost little more, but will be effective and will work easily for atleast 10 years. Costwise both will be more or les same and CABG little more. Hence please go for this, but go as per the advice of your cardiologist. -