Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What is mild diffuge cerebral atrophy ?

hai sir, my mother age was nearly 50 years and from last year she was often imbalance while walking. and her voice also ecoming unclear.we have consulted many doctors. and they advised as due to weakness. today back whan we consulted neuroogist, after ct scan told it was due to Mild diffuse cerebral atrophy . can u please explain what is mild cerebral atrophy. can we cure it. and can my mother walk normally again. please explain
Asked On : Wed, 13 Apr 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  548
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
In simple words, diffuse cerebral atrophy means generalized shrinkage of the brain tissue, which is detected in CTscan or MRI of brain. There are many causes for the atrophy like age related and alzheimer's dementia. Usually, there will be other problems like forgetfulness and difficulty in carrying out daily activities. Since your mother is aged only 50 (age related atrophy is unlikely) and has complaints like difficulty in walking and talking, a detailed evaluation is necessary to rule out brain damage due to minor strokes (hypertension and diabetes melitus are risk factors).

Unfortunately, if the problems are indeed due to atrophy, chances of recovery are less. The priority will be to prevent further deterioraion.
Answered: Fri, 24 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Neurologist Dr. Shiva Kumar R's  Response
Thanks a lot for using healthcaremagic. As per the symptoms described looks like she has progressive cerebellar syndrome like cerebellar ataxia. There are various causes for this and need evaluation from good neurologist. Consult him for further treatment. Bye

Dr. Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist
Answered: Fri, 24 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor