What is ischemia?

a heart problem
Tue, 23 Oct 2012
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi
ischemia basically is inadequate supply of oxygen in compare to requirement in any part of tissue in body either by inadequate blood supply or increase demand of that particular tissue
take care
asad's  Response
Ischemia occurs when a part of the body, in this case, the heart, does not receive enough oxygen. Your heart maintains a supply and demand balance for oxygen. If it requires more oxygen than your body can supply, the heart will become ischemic. This is usually manifested by chest pain, but some people can have ischemia and not feel it (especially diabetics). If it goes on too long, it can turn into infarction (heart attack), where part of the heart muscle dies.