What is an emboli ?

What is an emboli ?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
's  Response
embolus = clot emboli = two or more clots

I had a mirena iud inserted in august of 2009 and had it removed this past september thinking it is causing my severe pvc s, I have had pulmonary emboli due to birth control pills, however I do have a vena cava filter and have been on coumadin for years..could I possibly have a clot?

Hi, I m a 43 yr old woman, BMI 36. I ve been feeling very tired for about 2 months. Last week I was diagnosed with multiple pulomary emboli. I also was found, on examination, to have an enlarged spleen. The last couple of days my stomach has become really bloated (more than usual) Can you tell me what this indicates please?

How would you distinquish a pulmonary emboli from a heart attack during a 911 call and transport to ED? Are the symptoms different? How would the doctor know? The patient was having hypoxia. Thanks...Sandra Forget it!!! you should have told me that you were going to charge me for the answer. I would have paid....but not after the fact!!!

Recent questions on  Embolism

how can you check to see if you have a blood clot? i have all the system of plumonary embolism ive been to the hospital and doctors nobody can find anything but sinus infection they put me on antibod...steroid and dismiss me im not crazy im still having problems

I developed acute right pulmonary emboli after mastectomy and axilliary node removal for infiltrating lobular carcinoma in my left breast and am currently on 2mg warfarin daily. I have seen 2 oncologists, who both agree that normally, with T4 tumor (infiltrates into chest wall), even though N0 M0, I should undergo radiotherapy.

However one oncologist advised that I should not go for radiotherapy because of possible further risk following the pulmonary emboli, the other has advised that radiotherapy is safe even with the pulmonary emboli.

In your opinion is it safe for me to undergo radiotherapy even though I am currently under warfarin treatment for pulmonary emboli? I am 78 years old.

Hi, I'm 36 with a 20yr history of smoking, and diabetes type 2 and moderately overweight. I was going up and down the stairs and got some mild chest discomfort. It went away, and have not experienced it again. I went to a scheduled routine appointment with my PCP who did an ekg and found some nonspecific changes and sent me to the hospital. The ekgs were negative and they ruled me out for an MI, then went to a cardiologist and told me eventhough the ekg is neg. he think im having unstable angina and said i need an emergent cath based on my risk factors and one episode of chest discomfort a week prior, he said he does not trust a stress test as it can kill me with unstable angina. I have not experience the pain ever since, and im afraid he may be jumping the gun with a cath....I am concerned that he also a stent happy type of guy. I tried to find possible alternatives such as 64 CTA, but he says I may die if I wait and have to have the angiogram. I know cath is the gold standard, but cta has a comparable negative predictive value. Other studies such as a conventional pulmonary angiogram is the gold standard to rule out pulmonary embolism, but nowadays a pulmonary angiogram is almost never ordered to exclude a pulmonary emboli. Am I being unreasonable to consider alternatives or is a cath is absolutely needed STAT?

How likely is it that the lungs would be permanently damaged following 2 separate episodes of pulmonary emboli? The first episode was caused by an ankle fracture and went undiagnosed for 5 weeks. The second episode was 7 years later and no obvious cause has been found. Worried about the damage that the clots have caused to the lungs.

Was recently diagnosed with copd . Never smoked but grew up heavy secondhand smoke from parents. Waiting for results from ct to rule out a tumor or pulm fibrosis acc to pulmonologist. This morning i walked into a restaurant stood in line...

Hello, My forty-two year-old daughter, whose weight is always low, sometimes dangerously so, and who was diagnosed 25 years ago at Menninger clinic with anorexia (but to this day denies it - her lifestyle/habits conform closely to so-called...

My wife has had some pain in her right arm for the last week or so. We think it is because we are babysitting our daughter's mid-sized dog. The dog is old and has trouble sometimes getting up and my wife repeatedly hoists the dogs rear end up to...