What is a heart murmur?

Does anyone know what a heart murmur is, how you get one, if it is dangerous to have, and will it ever go away?
Thu, 15 Sep 2011
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi well come to HCM.
It is foreign sound produced by blood flow with higer pressure from praposnately
narrow aperture. There can be benign murmur but without knowing one can not say
it haemfull or harmless. Yes it may go if reason for it is properly corrected by surgery.
take care, thanks
akiko's  Response
Normally when you listen to heart, there are two sound usually referred to as LUB and DUB and these are due to closure of heart valves. When some valve is not functioning properly, flow through it produces a sound called murmur but it can also occur when there is rapid flow of blood through normal valves (for example in children), these murmurs are normal and are called flow murmurs. Murmurs due to malfunction of valve can't go away by themselves, however mild ones don't produce any problem. Valve malfunction can occur because of heart disease, degeneration in old age and Rheumatic fever etc.