What is a good painkiller for nerve pain?

Hello my husband has been having nerve pains in his back. It started in his right side and after a couple of months it just sort of stopped itself. The doctor was going to do surgery but his insurance wouldn t cover it so they wouldn t do the surgery. I s now on his left side. I can rub his back rather hard and he says he feels it clear down his left arm. His insurance won t pay for a preexisting condition. Can you maybe give me some ideas as to what may help him?
Fri, 29 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:

1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.

2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.

3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.

4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.

It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.

5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response