What is Effexor XR prescribed for?

My partner has been prescribed Effexor xr 150 mg. is this a high dose and if so what would it be used for? I believe he has been on this medication for around 18 months. Depression or some other issue? I am concerned about his behaviour lately - anger, rage, crying easily. Sandy
Wed, 15 Oct 2014
Hi

i understand your concern and appreciate your positive outlook.

Effexor is velnafaxin and it is antidepressant.

150 mg is not high dose and it is usual dose to treat depression.

It help to recover from depression within 6 month of period if she did not improve then need to re evaluate diagnosis. Anger ,crying etc are the symptoms that shows psychological illness.

consult psychiatrist for better evaluation.

say thank you if you are helped.

happy to help you further.

Thank you.