Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What is Chalazion?

I had a chalazion sometime back on the right eye but recently I came across this terminology called Hordeolum so was just curious to know what it was and could I have had it instead.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Jan 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  2195
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum
Chalazion and hordeolum internum to be exact are the same thing
Answered: Tue, 4 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
A common staphyloccal infection of the lid glands; essentially an abscess, with pus formation; symptoms include swelling, redness, and pain. Two types are classified: internal hordeolum (relatively large, affecting the meibomian glands; may point toward the skin or toward the conjunctive) and external hordeolum (also known as a "sty;" smaller and more superficial; an infection of the glands of Moll or Zeiss; painful; always points toward the skin side of the lid margin). Both types of hordeola are treated with warm compresses for 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day; if the condition does not improve within 48 hours, incision and drainage of the pus is indicated. Antibacterial ophthalmic ointment is also helpful. A large internal hordeolum has the potential to affect the entire lid through accompanying cellulites. Personal hygiene, especially for children, is an indication. If hordeola are frequently recurrent or associated with blepharitis, treatment with oral tetracycline may be utilized.
Answered: Sat, 23 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor