Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

What is Arrhythmia ?

I think my daughter has it. Her heart beats fast for a while and she feels weak and dizzy. She lives in Sweden and she went to the doctor and had to convince her that it wasn t just palpatations she felt really odd for a while each time until it passed. It has happened 4 times in the last few months. Is it to do with anemia? It s not just missing a beat or a gentle flutter it is a racing heartbeat Thanks for the quick response. This is my idea of what she has not the Dr s. I feel so frustrated since I am at home and she is over there. She will get it checked out properly just waiting for the papers to be sent so she can get it done free or at least best part of it.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  276
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
An arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm such as atrial fibrillation (irregular heart beat) The cause of a fast heartbeat is difficult to say without tests, anaemia (low haemoglobin - oxygen carrier) can cause palpitations on exertion as the body isnt getting enough oxygen. Is she known to be anaemic? it would usually be accompanied with shortness of breath as well and generally feeling tired. A blood test at her doctors should clarify this. There are also a number of other causes for palpitations/fast heart rate...(you dont say whether it is regular or not), such an electrical malfunction in the heart, stress and anxiety or even too much caffeine or alcohol!. I would recommend that she see a doctor as soon as possible, persistant tachycardia (fast heart rate) can be life threatening in a very small number of cases, it is therefore important that they are able to identify if it is an arrhythmia so that if required it can be treated. The GP will most likely take some blood tests to make sure it isn't being caused by anaemia or a chemicle imbalance (unlikely as it would occurr more frequently), an ECG to assess her 'normal' rhthym, & dependant on her age and medical history they may decide to watch and wait or send her for further tests such as a 24 hr ECG. I would suggest that the next time this happens, and persists for more than a few minutes, and she feels unwell with it, she should call an ambulance, they carry a basic heart monitor which will hopefully 'catch' the heart rhythm and will be able to assess how this is affecting her body ie blood pressure etc. In many cases such as these, stress/anxiety/panic attacks are the culprit rather than a long term physical problem, which the doctor will also be able to provide advice for.
Answered: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor