What helps back pain from Scoliosis?

I am a 67 year old female who has had 2 back surgeries and never until after havimg back xrays in a standing upright position was toldi had scoliosis ... 19 degrees. when I saw those xrays iwas astonished at what my spine looked like. could that not beidentified with xrays laying flat. I still continue to have back pain . what can I do?
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Scoliosis is better diagnosed in weight bearing position or functional position since it becomes apparent only while standing. Mild varieties or those without bony deformities tens to disappear on lying down. So for assessment of scoliosis it is standard practice to do x rays in standing position. After back surgeries sometimes the problem is muscle imbalance or change of bony alignment leading to scoliosis. Back pain associated with scoliosis is generally due to muscular imbalance and needs muscle imbalance correction by adequate and related physiotherapy. Sometimes support in the form of braces is also required.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.