Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

162 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What happens after swallowing a piece of plastic?

Hi, I think that I swallowed a piece smaller then my pinkie nail of a plastic ordinary straw. I’m not for sure because the straw was frozen with the food and I think it might of broke off but I might have ate it. I’m curious to see what would happen if I did swallow it.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018
Report Abuse
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

If you have swallowed then it will definitely come in your pee once for sure. Because it can't be digested by our body.

If it was any sharp thing and got stuck in the stomach, you will have severe stomach aches to cause you lot of discomfort which is definitely not there in your case.

So granuloma formation and all will never happen. So, just don't worry and watch your pee if it goes through it.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Archana
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

a few days ago I felt something in my throat. I thought I had just caught a piece of food that didn t swallow completely. It s happened before and cleared by eating another bite or drinking. But this time after finally swallowing it, it continued to feel a little scratchy, like maybe something scratched inside my throat, left front area. Anyway one day, two days, stayed, at times when I swallow it feels ok, at times scratchy again. Today it s more moved to center front, so just for curiousity, not thinking I could see down my throat, I went ahead and looked in mouth to back of throat and I see it s all covered by small white spots. I remember something like that years ago when my kids were little. Possibly strep throat. I m 65 yrs old. Haven t been sick in years. I am diabetic with high blood sugar.

doctor1 MD

Hi there I swallowed a piece of plastic almost the size of a quarter. This was about 2 months ago. But ever since I feel like it s still stuck down my throat. And ive been having a very hard Time breathing. I also feel super light headed at time. And it mostly bothers me at night! What could be wrong?? Do you think I still have the plastic stuck down my throat?? My throat also hurts

doctor1 MD

I was making rice crispie treats, something I had never made before. I was using a sturdy plastic spoon on the mixture and as I snuck a tiny bite I noticed a strange texture. I pulled out a small piece of melted plastic from my mouth but not before swallowing a little bit. I only swallowed a small mouthful but I felt ill right away (not sure if from the plastic or from my own panic and nerves.) I could only make myself throw up a small amount. I m feeling a little better now, but am wondering if I need to go to a doctor.