Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

What food can i give to a child other than breast feedings ?

Hi We are from Kerala, India. My daughter s baby is 5 months old. We are giving only breast milk yet. I want to know when and which are the foods we can give to the baby???
Asked On : Thu, 12 Jan 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  403
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello. According to WHO guidelines, breast milk is sufficient for a baby until 6 months of age. Thereafter, gradual weaning must be started. Make sure to introduce, one food at a time, replace one breast feed, continue for at least one week before introducing anything else. Weaning is important because of waning maternal immunity and introduction of new foods, infant is prone to infections. Make sure, foods are prepared hygienically and few with clean hands. Depending on your basic diet rice, light pulses mashed riped bananas, stewed apples can be given. be sure to avoid too much spices and oils. You could use commercially available foods or prepare component foods at home. Take care.
Answered: Thu, 12 Jan 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor