Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

148 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What exercises can I do for strengthening my body after being gun shot in the back causing muscle spasms ?

Hey Doc, I am a 25 yr old male (previously in great health) with only a minor meniscus surgery , that has not caused any problems since. Now about 6 months ago I was shot in the back, which severed a nerve resulting in the numbing and inability of using the lateral side of my left foot and the majority of my right leg; the bullet is lodged between my L4 and L5 vertebrae and the doctor said the muscle would grow back around it without a problem. Now I have regained 99% of feeling in my leg and about 85% in my foot. However I suffer from muscle spasms which are presenting themselves on the backside of my right leg and heel , as well as a intermittent back pain near the entry. I was cleared about 3 months ago (after 2 months of physical therapy , b/c of great progress) to go ahead and start working out again, however I ran too hard 1X, which brought me back to where I am presently. I am on Gabapentin (1200mg 4X a day) which has minimized and/or dealing with the recurring spasms, and Aleve for any back pain I can t handle (which is rare). I am very determined and eager to start working out (my doctor has approved and suggests low-impact and no crunches) since I lost 45+ lbs mostly of which is muscle mass , however I am wondering where to start and what exercises I can do...specifically for my legs, arms, chest and back. Thank you very much for whatever wisdom you can share.
Wed, 18 Jan 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
i think u should start slow and less power exercise
then gradually increase it
i think initially walking and jogging is best.
u can do cycling
yoga and pranayam will help u
better to consult physiotherapist first,he will guide u best
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....