• question-icon

What does yellow vaginal discharge indicate?

My sister has an abnormal discharge from her vagina. It is yellow and sometimes cream, she explains to me. she is a virgin. she never had any sort of sex before. sometimes the discharge is watery and sometimes thick like cottage cheese. she told me it carries a foul and or fishy smell. what type of discharge is this and how can she go about treating it?
Fri, 24 Nov 2017
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

These symptoms and signs are suggestive of STD especially if there is associated pain, fever, urethral discharge and recent sexual intercourse. So, this is the first thing to rule out by doing STD testing.

Secondly, it may be sign of uroinfection or urinary stones and some other genital infection but this is less common. In every case, antibiotic therapy may be required so test should be done as soon as possible so that appropriate treatment can be started. Till then try to drink plenty of fluids, avoid sexual intercourse and rest.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein