• question-icon

What does swollen bruise on thigh indicate?

I have a large bruise ( 3-4 cm) on my left thigh that has not turned black/blue, etc but has a yellowish cast and a swollen bump in its center ( 1 cm plus or minus) that is sore to the touch. I don t recall banging my thigh into anything, but I may have and didn t consider it significant at the time. I ve been doing strength exercises at the gym using my lower extremities but cannot imagine that to be the cause.
Tue, 14 Jan 2020

Noted your history about a large bruise on left thigh with yellowing cast and swollen bump in center that is sore to touch.
The history is indicative of this to be an abscess or furuncle.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Consult a General Surgeon for clinical evaluation, examination and investigations of blood for diabetes, CBC for WBC and whichever would be necessary.
You may need a course of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines and may be an incision and drainage if the us has already formed.
If this is something else, your Surgeon will surely guide you for further investigations and mange accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon