What does swelling in the neck indicate?

hi, I m asking on behalf of my mother. It all started with her neck being swollen and the swollen part is hard. Doc did a biopsy on the swollen cell and it diagnosed with lymphoma. These few days the swollen part has puss and it about to burst. Her appointment with Doc is scheduled in the next couple of days. Therefore, should I take her to consult with Dr. right away or I can wait until the appointment date? and should I be worried if the puss getting burst?
Thu, 14 Jun 2018
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Collection of pus in swelling suggests bacterial infection. You need to consult your doctor for drainage of pus and pain killers for pain relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.