What does spine surgery involve in freeing the trapped nerve in the neck due to arthritis?

i have recently had an mri scan on my neck the results are that 5 of my vertabrae have degenerated due to arthritis. this has caused posterior disc-osteophyte bars causing significant narrowing of the neural exit foramina affecting in total seven nerves. i have been referred to a neuro surgeon for spine surgery. can you tell me what this operation involves in order to free the trapped nerves, approx how long i can expect to be in hospital and how long it would take me to recover from such an operation many thanks. Julie Smith
Thu, 31 Jan 2019