Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does severe pain in the chest indicate?

My brother is 50 years old. He experienced a work-related back injury about 20 years ago: fell onto a fork lift causing thoracic spine fracture, cervical and lumbar disk herniations. Over the course of time since the accident, he received epidural steroid injections to alleviate pain, had several radiofrequency ablation procedures, and recently (this past May) had back surgery to correct the lumbar disk herniation. He now has been experiencing severe edema of both feet that is very painful, and he can barely walk; he has left-sided chest pain that is moderate to severe and radiates to his left arm and jaw; he is experiencing excessive sweating; his jaw locks and he has a hard time opening his mouth. He was just discharged from the hospital (we had him rushed into the ER) as all tests were negative (blood work, chemical stress test, chest x-ray, leg sonogram, echocardiogram). He is on many medications for pain management and from his recent back surgery. Would you have any idea as to a diagnosis for his recent heart pain?
Mon, 2 Jul 2018
Report Abuse
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Left-sided chest pain that is moderate to severe and radiates to his left arm and jaw with excessive sweating are important symptoms that may suggest a heart attack or a coronary heart disease. You mention that all the tests that can diagnose a heart disease were normal and this exclude the cardiac origin of his chest pain. The chest X-ray exclude even the lung-related origine of this pain. So, considering all we said, I can deduct that it can be a muscle pain. I suggest to consult a local rheumatologist for the exact diagnosis and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Elona Xhardo
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello doc I notice for the past 3days my heart makes this sudden twitch at least 4 times per minute. It s an aggressive jump it s not ever but...