Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
120 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does pain on the right side of the face indicate?

I recently developed pain on the right side of my face- from below my ear all the way down my jaw line towards my chin. It hurts to chew food. Tonight the pain is also going up towards my temple. It seems to come and go from really aching to not so bad. Tonight even my teeth ache . It also seems worse in the morning. Is this most likely from clenching my teeth and I don t realise I m doing it or something else?
Mon, 26 Mar 2018
Report Abuse
Dentist 's  Response

As per your query, have symptoms of pain on the right side of the face which seems to be due to temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) and it could be due to facial nerve inflammation.

Need not to worry. I would suggest you to consult oral surgeon for proper diagnosis. Doctor may prescribe you night guard, prescribe anti-anxiety drugs and may refer to orthodontist for proper alignment of teeth.

You symptoms will resolve its own after proper facial exercises like blow in blow out, stretching of muscles and whistling.

In the meanwhile try to relax yourself, start physical therapy of facial muscles, and do facial exercises. Take ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain. Physical therapy is the best ailment for TMJ muscles relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Harry Maheshwari
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have some sort of pain on my right side where my ribs end, its as if i have a muscle strain or as if i twisted something what could it be?