What does pain on the right big toe indicate?

My husband started complaining a couple of days ago that his big toe on right foot was sore and hurting. I diagnosed him as having Gout!!!! He does have neuropothy and takes medication for that. His foot area around big toe starting turning red yesterday so he soaked his foot in Epson salt and he said he thought it felt better. I have used a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol on it about three times. He started taking Advil last night and today. He said the toe is still sore but not as painful. Advil probably is helping that. Is there anything else we can do to relieve pain and soreness. He drinks a lot of carbonated water. Do you think this would have anything to do with getting Gout?
Fri, 23 Feb 2018
Hello dear. Welcome to Healthcaremagic. I read your query and I understand your concern. Here are the steps for getting the pain and swelling of a gout attack under control:

Take an anti-inflammatory medication as soon as possible
Ice and elevate the joint
Drink plenty of fluids ,sodas makes it worse.
Relax; stress can aggravate gout.
Take rest of normal daily activities.
Treatment include colchicine,steroidal antiinflamatories such as prednisone can be taken by mouth or injected into an inflamed joint to relieve the pain and swelling of an acute gout attack. They can also be injected systemically if the attack doesn’t respond to other medications.
Allopurinol reduces the production of uric acid. It is often prescribed at a low daily dose at first, with the dose gradually increasing over time. Take care.
Hope my answer was helpful. If yes, vote helpful. Regards, Dr Olgeta Xhufka ( general and family physician ).