What does numbness on the face and tongue indicate?

My granddaughter who is 15 years old was experiencing numbness in one side of her face and tongue as well as paralysis of the facial features on one side of her face. She s also complaining with tingling in her thigh area on both legs with some tingling in the chest area as well as her hands and fingers. She complains that she is weak in her arms and legs as well. We took her to the ER and they diagnosed her with Belle s Palsy but said the tingling and weakness had nothing to do with the Palsy and did not seem concerned. Can you give me some kind of idea which direction to seek help from?
Sat, 3 Feb 2018
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
**
Thanks for contacting with your health concern

1. As there was a history of having numbness and tingling and because a visit to ER didn't deduce any diagnosis thus, consult a neurologist for relevant examination and blood work with CT- scan to confirm or exclude:

- TIA [transient ischemic attack/mini stroke]
- bell's palsy
- Sarcoidosis.
- Parotid Tumor.
- Herpes zoster infection.
- Middle ear disease
- exposure to cold or chill

PS. One can have a stroke and yet don't know it since symptoms caused by mini-stroke can be undetectable if the tissue damaged by it does not serve a critical function, you should seek medical attention at once.

2. apart from medical examination, one has to look out for any associated risk factor, like:
. blood pressure, blood sugar.
. lipid profile, overweight.

3. The only way to tell the difference as to what has happened is to get a Neurologist opinion along with necessary investigation like C.T or M.R.I. scan, who may also check with
- carotid ultrasound.
- echocardiogram [for any blood clots].
- EKG & Chest X-ray.

4. Only after exhaustive examination and investigation, treatment will be initiated by starting or adjusting medications that improve blood flow to the brain [antiplatelets/anticoagulants], along with lifestyle modifications like:
- maintain ideal body weight
- regular exercise, low salt intake
- eating fresh fruits & vegetables
- reducing undue physical/mental stress.
- routine blood investigations and keeping the level within normal limits.
- proper and adequate sleep.

5. If the causes mentioned are excluded then management followed is:

- proper mouthwash is advised after each meal.
- gentle massage over the face is advised.
- Facial exercise is advised. [one may consult a Physiohterapist]
- parenteral vitamin B1, B6, and B12 may be given.