What does numbness in the hands while suffering from hypertension indicate?

My husband was hospitalized with viral pneumonia 12/14/17-12/19/17, and although his lungs are much better, he just isn t regaining his strength back. He also normally has high BP and is prescribed BP meds, he hasn t been taking them as his BP has been running 91/57-129/64 today with similar results the last few days. he also is complaining that his hand hurts or is numb, all the way up his arm. He has lost 25 lbs since he was hospitalized as well. He just isn t himself anymore-should I be arlarmed?
Wed, 1 Aug 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your husband had been going through lately. Based on the history you have shared, the blood readings are fluctuating because of sepsis syndrome secondary to pneumonia. Confusion, dizziness, hypotension etc are all part of several pneumonia. The weight loss can be due to catabolism because of poor calories intake or due to sepsis itself however it really is an alarming situation as manangement is all based on antibiotics and response of body with long term ICU stay.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.