What does itching and orange spots on scalp indicate?

Hi, my boyfriend woke up this morning thinking he might have lice. he s got a very itchy scalp, but when i looked at it, there were orange spots on his scalp, with orange crusty bits in his hair. there were red parts as well but those seemed to only be where he d been itching it raw. there were also small clear flakes. could those be louse eggs?
Mon, 24 May 2021
Dentist 's  Response

Bumps over the scalp along with small flakes can occur due to head lice in which small flakes can be lice eggs, however the flakes can also be due to dandruff or dry and dead skin buildup. Itchy bumps on scalp can also be due to causes like hair follicle infection or folliculitis, scalp acne, allergic reaction, atopic dermatitis etc. So treatment will depend on the exact cause of the symptoms, but if you suspect head lice you might also see mature insects over the scalp. As you now you can wash the scalp with a mild shampoo and dry the scalp well and then apply a Steroid based ointment or lotion over the bumps.

In case if there is no improvement in 2-3 days you u should get him clinically checked. If you are sure that he has head lice then he can wash his scalp with anti-lice shampoo that you can get from nearby Pharmacy store. Permethrin lotion 1% can also be used for the eradication of head lice and along with it you can use a lice comb to remove the lice as well as the eggs but wait for the bumps to subside or else they can get scratched and inflamed. Shampoo the scalp every alternate day and maintain clean and dry scalp. Wear clean clothes and do not share towels combs and other personal use things that can transmit the lice to others too.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist