Owl Image

What does it mean when your skin discoloration ?

What does it mean when your complextion darkens with HIV?
Fri, 22 Apr 2011
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
hi
skin darkness in hiv due to
-vitamin deficiency
-anemia
-higher drug
-sun sensitivity
-dehydration

Hi doctor, I am an African woman aged 49 and live in Dar es salaam, Tanzania. I have noticed discoloring of my skin on several places. I have a patch on my shoulder which is spotted like a cheetah skin, it is about 4cm sq in size, a small patch of about i sq cm on my arm which is about two shades lighter than my skin colour, a patch on my thigh about 3cm sq, several patches on the small of my back which is about 7cm long and 2 cm wide. I visited a dermatologist and he quickly diagnosed it as Vitiligo and the treatment he has prescribed is pretty harsh, application of a cream in the morning where i am to sit in the 10am sun for 1 hour wearing UV sunglasses as without it my eyesight could be damaged. He warned that i need to apply the cream directly and precisely on the affected areas as if it went beyond those areas they would be permanently damaged/discolored. My research over the net describes Vitiligo as milk white pigmentation of the skin. Mine is not milk white. Could you kindly advice me what I could be suffering from and how I should treat it?

I was stung by a bee about a week and a half ago. Initially I had the symptons of a large reaction. Everything has been going down and dissapearing until today when I noticed that the skin around the area of the sting is purple. Nothing hurts or itches. What does this mean?

I have been diagnosed with eczema since taking Diovan HCT and later switched to Valsartan HCT. My skin is very dry and my hands are totally discolored. What can be done about the skin discoloration and how long is this going to take to clear up? Disappointed in Morgan City

Recent questions on Anemia

My mum suffer of CKD,stage 4, she is diabetic,high pressure and I would like to know,if I give her baking soda with a bit of water will make her worst or better. I dont want my mother to get to stage 5. Only 20% of her kidney is working. She has anemia, she is pale. I would like to know if I controller her with a good diet she will be ok. Do You think she will need to get ready for dialysis or doesn't needed at this stage. What can she eat?

Hello I am 47 years old, with high blood pressure, I have recently been to the drs and have had some blood tests done and they came back that I have a sluggish kidney and am anemic, I am going to have a colonoscopy in a months time, since knowing this I have started to worry and I am having pains in my left side. I have over the years had piles which have been painful but I have treated them in the normal way, but I don't think I have lost blood to the extreme that I have now become anemic , being as I am 47 I have my concerns, but I have no family history of cancer

Small amt. of bleeding 6 wks. ago. Went to dentist as it was on pallet of my mouth-also thought maybe an ill fitting partial. Went 11 days ago as it got very heavy on bleeding. Could not eat . Have had liquids since. Dentist said possibly so about the partial and did 7 stitches and some glue I understand. Has not stopped, went back 3 days ago, dentist removed some glue particles and it has bled heavy ever since. He has been great to try and help, but to no avail. Still not eating. Losing weight and getting cupfuls of blood at anytime , even while trying to sleep. I am a man 87 yrs., good health, no prescrition meds. except Folgard and Doxazosin. Work hard all the time up until this happened. Take Folgard as I was anemic 10 yrs. ago and must always take this along with Vit. B12 shots. How can I get this bleeding to stop. At my wits end. Thank you.

Dr my mother was (55yrs) anemia patient, afected in RADIATION PROTOCOLIS,AFTER THE TREATMENT(radio & chemo therapy) ( Case of CA-Cervix) last 2 yrs she was uncondition.Because bleeding out on the way of motion.again and again we have doing blood transfusion.but no use at all.what can we do for this critical time ?

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

Do you think at ESA therapy is a good option for a 90 yo male with CKD stage 3A? RBC count is 2.91; HGB 9.9; HCT 29.1; platelet count 104; GFR est non-AA 58; Micralb/Crea ratio (ug/mg creat) 59.0; Pt is always cold , extremely fatigued-sleeps 15...

I had routine bloodwork done and all tests came back normal except for a raised ferratin 575. When tested again 6 weeks later it came back at another high value 445. No other tests for inflammation were done. CBC with differential all normal. I'm...