What does it mean when your heart beats/pumps really fast 3x in a row?

What does it mean when your heart beats/pumps really fast 3x in a row? I was sitting here on the internet and just got a scare , I felt my heart beat/pump 3x really fast in a row and then everything was normal again but it startled me ... I m only 31 what could this mean ?
Wed, 18 May 2011
's  Response
It could mean that its time for you to have a check up with a Real Doctor who could tell you what might REALLY be wrong rather than a heap of "experts" on the net who know nothing about most things.
April's  Response
One of two conditions could be occurring. The first is paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia where the heart suddenly starts beating too fast. It may be a primary condition or a secondary condition to chronic anxiety. The second may be panic attacks from anxiety causing a startle reflex in which the sympathetic nervous system temporarily ramps up the heart rate. If the first one is the case, primary cardiac disease can cause this, but other electrolyte, endocrine, or metabolic abnormalities can also affect heart rate and rhythm. Your doctor may recommend certain tests based on the physical exam, such as an ECG, bloodwork, a 24-hour holter monitor or event monitor to 'catch and record' the episode. More critical conditions may require and echocardiogram or angiography. Searching the net and knowing the possible differentials will prepare you for your physician appointment, but will not replace it. However, there is nothing wrong with empowering yourself with some additional knowledge that will help convince you to see your doctor. I wish you good health.