Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
183 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does high WBC count indicate?

I had a urinalysis, along with some other testing done 4 days ago due to suspicions that I have type 2 diabetes. In the results of the urinalysis, it showed I have an elevated WBC of 16. I have also been having mild to moderate lower back and abdominal pain for a few days, but no other symptoms. I went in yesterday to be checked for a UTI or kidney infection, but that came back negative. I am still having mild back pain today. What does that high WBC mean if I don't have a UTI? Is it possible that the UTI test was a false negative?
Thu, 1 Sep 2016
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

1. Having an elevated WBC of 16 is suggestive of a possible bacterial infection anywhere in your body.

2. If urine analysis resulted negative, and you have not taken any antibiotic so far, then, there is no fear for UTI. If you have taken antibiotics, I advise to wait for another week and have another urine analysis.

3. Most probably, the site of bacterial infection is your throat; an ENT examination is advised to run further.

4. Having mild to moderate lower back pain and abdominal pain if no UTI, could be related to any genital infection too. Depending on your gender, vaginal infection or prostatitis is also to rule out through: vaginal swab testing, uro-genital ultrasound; PSA level.

5. You can discuss this further with your physician. For the moment, I advise to:
- take anti-spasmodic meds like buscopan or mephenamic acid for the pain
- increase fluids intake
- take good personal hygiene

Hope it was of help!
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

my i had done my CBC my wbc count was 14,600 which was high so doctors treated me with injection and glucose with monocef injection for 3 days.for...