What does cough with yellowish phlegm and sore throat indicate?

Hi, how are you? I have been suffering from severe coughing for quite some time now, initially I thought it was allergic but now I am not sure what exactly it is... there is excessive coughing and feels like swelled around the throat area along with a foul taste like dust everytime I cough... In addition there is also mucus or similar substance which is mild yellowish at the time of waking up in the morning whereas during the day, it has white foamy texture... also I sneeze around 2 to 3 times a day with around 4 sneezes each time...
Thu, 19 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Considering your symptoms, cough and yellow mucus, sneezing, swelling of the throat, in my opinion it might have been an upper respiratory infection that has progressed in acute baterial bronchitis.
You may need to start using antibiotics (cefalexine) for some days, mucolytics, and also nasal decongestionant spray.
However, to put the right diagnosis a physical examination is needed, so I suggest you to consult a doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.