• question-icon

What does chronic duodentis with diffuse mild inflammation mean?

I have had upper GI symptoms for 3 months. Primarily I have pressure under the right portion of my rib cage, excessive gas, pain directly blow my sternum. I have had a HIDA scan which showed slow fill of the common bile duct, a normal upper GI series a CT scan that showed a 1cm mass in my duodenum and most recently an EGD. The initial findings on the EGD are as follows:
Hiatus Hernia
Chronic Duodentis - diffuse mild inflammation characterized by granularity was found i n the 2nd part of the duodenum. Piopsy with a cold forceps was performed for histology.
ICD Codes used for billing were:
535.60 duodenitis (without mention of hemorrhage)
239.0 Neoplasm of unspecified nature of digestive system
553.3 diaphragmatic hernia without mention of obstruction or gangrene
I am still waiting on the histology reports, however am concerned that some of the verbiage used indicates this could be serious. Can you give me your thoughts?
Wed, 2 May 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The chronic Duodenitis with neoplasm of unspecified nature of the digestive system in the biopsy suggests specific management after confirmation.

Though it is a neoplasm, proper care with surgery, post-operative care, with the approach of modern medicines, you should not consider it as that serious matter.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Bhagyesh V.Patel