What does a swollen spot behind the ear indicate?

I have a swollen spot about an inch behind my ear and at the base of my hairline. It is very painful and causing a headache & neck ache. It is not red and does not look anything like a pimple or boil. I have been quite healthy up until this showed up.
Mon, 9 Feb 2015
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi! just today I came across such a patient of course who was aged and presented with a swollen painful nodule behind his ear for 3/4 days!

it is quite a common clinical presentation in day-to-day practice!

In such cases I just do a careful and gentle physical examination regarding size, consistency, mobility, feel and tenderness of it; then I do a needle biopsy that generally reveal:

1. a lymph node with no significant abnormality

2. a small infected inclusion cyst

3. an inflammatory pseudotumor

4. metastatic carcinoma

Therefore you need to see your doctor today for confirmation and to relieve your tension.

regards,