• question-icon

What does a spot in nephrectomy suggest?

left nephrectomy nov 2011. Stage 3b. spot found in my lung [ 3mm] Dec 2012. next CT shows first spot had increased to 6 mm another measuring 3mm found. CT yesterday: first spot not found, second spot has remained to same size. Three new spots: 1.1 x 1.2 cm, 1.0 x1.0 cm, 6mm. The largest is situated so that it can be removed with a Day Surgery. Where are the best clinical trials currently?
Mon, 12 Jan 2015
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
The spots detected on CT of the chest could be metastatic deposits.
Metastatic deposits are known to occur in case of renal cancers.
Lungs are a very common site of distant metastasis from renal cancers.
Surgical removal of the spot in the lungs is required followed by histopathological examination of the removed spot.
Thereafter you need to consult an oncologist in case the excised spot turns out to be malignant.

Thanks and take care
DR Shailja Puri