What does a red rash on the hand indicate?

Hello, I have a rash like thing on my hand and have had it for about two weeks. I m practicing dental assisting so we come in contact with lots of disinfectants, some saying they can cause contact dermatitis. Honestly, sometimes I did forget to wear gloves but I started protecting the area and putting on calamine lorion on it but it s still on my hand and it s starting to annoy me. It s sensitive, a little bit raw, a light red and bumpy. But it s like in one area only. The rest of my hand of soft and perfectly fine.
Asked On : Mon, 13 Nov 2017
Hello! Welcome to HealthcareMagic!

I understand your concern. It can be due to dermatitis. Some advice that I can give you are: 

1) Use hydrocortisone cream locally.
2) Take oral antihistamine to relieve severe itching.
3) Put cold dump clothes at the area.

Hope my answer was helpful. If you have any other questions, Ill be glad to help.

Thank you for the query.

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi, General & Family Physician