What does a piece of skin hanging in the vagina during pregnancy indicate?

Hi Doctor, I am 10 weeks pregnant and since 2 weeks, I have been observing something hanging in my vagina, feels like a thick skin attached to inside of vagina. Sometimes, when I wipe, I notice some blood(only when I wipe). Can you please confirm what it can be? It s not painful and hardly felt during the entire day except sometimes when I go toilet. I am going for my first appointment with my midwife on 23rd May so will sort it out then too but still would like to know what it is. Thanks in advance.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

According to your description the possibilities are :

-Remenants of hymen.
-Thickening of vaginal mucosa.
-Rarely cervical polyp.

By clinical examination the exact cause of the problem can be identified. If that tag is of only superficial origin that can be removed by clamping and cutting and if needed suturing. If it is a polyp, the origin should be identified by ultrasound and treatment should be planned accordingly. Deeper cervical polyps may need be treated conservatively as you are pregnant now.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.