Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
158 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does a painful lump in the chest indicate?

I have a pain which feels like a lump, in the middle of my chest, between my rib cage. Its not painful to touch but is quite annoying, and the pain travels to my back. its worse when I sit or lay down - its fine when I am walking around. I have tried to cut things out of my diet, to see if that makes a difference but doesn t :(
Wed, 20 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Regarding your concern, I would explain that the lump on your chest could be an inflammated lymph node or inflammation (costochondritis). For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X ray study
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have a lump on my side in the crease of leg, that seems to gurgle occasionally. 3 drs have told me that it s a lymph node and one that it was a...