Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does a lump inside vagina indicate?


I felt a large lump on the inside of my vagina. It causes discomfort during intercourse and when inserting a tampon. I noticed the discomfort about two or three weeks ago but did not think anything of it but I just discovered the lump yesterday. I looked it up online and it said it could be a cyst. How long do cysts usually last for? Will it go away on its own or should I see a gynecologist?
Mon, 8 Dec 2014
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
I understood your query.
The lump inside vagina is mostly swelling of a mucus secreting gland- Bartholin's gland.
Swelling follows blockage of the bartholn duct. Usually follows some vaginal infection or bad genital hygiene.
You seem to have inflammation of the gland- will be all right with medicines like Norfloxacin, metranidazole, ibuprofen, local cleanliness is a must.
If left untreated in turns in to Bartholin's abscesswhich needs incision/drainage.
* To avoid all of this a prompt & sufficient treatment is essential. It's better to consult a gynecologist before you start treatment.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My sister has the Mirena birth control, however she is experiencing pain in her vagina, when you used her finger to check around she felt a hard...