What does a lump inside vagina indicate?

I felt a large lump on the inside of my vagina. It causes discomfort during intercourse and when inserting a tampon. I noticed the discomfort about two or three weeks ago but did not think anything of it but I just discovered the lump yesterday. I looked it up online and it said it could be a cyst. How long do cysts usually last for? Will it go away on its own or should I see a gynecologist?
Mon, 8 Dec 2014
hi,
I understood your query.
The lump inside vagina is mostly swelling of a mucus secreting gland- Bartholin's gland.
Swelling follows blockage of the bartholn duct. Usually follows some vaginal infection or bad genital hygiene.
You seem to have inflammation of the gland- will be all right with medicines like Norfloxacin, metranidazole, ibuprofen, local cleanliness is a must.
If left untreated in turns in to Bartholin's abscesswhich needs incision/drainage.
* To avoid all of this a prompt & sufficient treatment is essential. It's better to consult a gynecologist before you start treatment.
Thanks.