What does a lump behind the ear indicate?

Hi, I’m a little bit concerned about a lump directly behind my ear (almost on it.) It is painful and it feels hot. It just popped up about 2 days ago and has gotten more painful each day. It’s very tender and it also feels kind of hard. Nothing about my health is out of the ordinary (besides the lump) so I have no idea what it is.
Wed, 20 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

In most cases cause is benign and should not worry you. If this I soft and not painful then this in most cases indicates swollen lymph node, lipoma or atheroma. And if this is hard and immobile swelling behind the ear would be a bony swelling, most commonly known as osteoma. These swellings are generally asymptomatic and requires no treatment. However if it increases in size or you develop pain then I would like you to meet a ENT doctor for further evaluation and treatment. The other swelling in the neck is likely to be a lymph node and since it has not increased in size for past few years then you have nothing to worry. No treatment is required.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.