What do the symptoms of fatigue with high Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension and Neuropathy indicate?

What would you call these symptoms? I fall a lot and have weakness and shake when I try to get up from sitting down. I have type 2 diabetes with high blood pressure and neuropathy in my legs and hands. I also have sleep apnea and a horse shoe shaped kidney the right side is smaller so the doctor put a stint in that side the needs replacing every 3 months.
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'
I have reviewed your query regarding your symptoms and the question of what do they indicate.

The symptoms you describe are typical of the ravages uncontrolled high blood sugar and blood pressure have on your body, nerves, autonomic nervous system and other organs. The kidneys are not receiving adequate blood flow, the neuropathy will affect balance, coordination and tremors and any excess weight typically associated with type 2 diabetes will worsen sleep apnea.

My advice to you is to get your blood sugar under control through a carbohydrate/calorie controlled diet with an emphasis on water soluble fibers and low glycemic load carbohydrates. You may wish to speak to a Registered Dietitian about setting up a diet plan for you.

In addition, the hypertension can be helped with a sodium diet with added potassium if medications do not contraindicate. Some blood pressure medications require potassium monitoring. A dietitian can also assist you with these changes.

Good blood sugar and hypertension control will assist you in regaining balance and coordination while slowing down any nerve damage that may be occurring.

I hope I have answered your query.

Warmly,

Kathy J. Shattler, BS, MS, RDN