What do the numbers mean when your BP is givento you 151/95 ?

What do the numbers mean when your blood pressure is given to you. 151/95?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
's  Response
The first number, or the top number is called the systolic pressure...this is the FIRST heartbeat heard through the stethescope when taking the blood pressure.. The second number, or the bottom number is called the diastolic pressure...this is the last heartbeat heard through the stethescope when taking the blood pressure.. That's how we get the numbers..the way I told you in the above paragraph... The top number of your reading is okay...the concern is the bottom number..this is a little high.. However, keep in mind..these numbers might be high to most people, but depending on your diet..and your weight..and your past medical history..these numbers could be good for you as a person...with all of the above mentioned taken into consideration. Whoever took your blood pressure, did they seem concerned at all? Maybe you should monitore your BP more closely..you are on the borderline of being hypertensive... Check with your doctor and express your concern with him or her....