What do pain and swelling in the arms indicate?

What would cause pain in my husbands arms and hands and his hands to swell up so tight he had to take his wedding ring off and could not make a fist, while sleeping. The pain woke him up and he was able to get his ring off , but he said his hands well so tight it felt like they were gonna pop. They are almost back to normal today, but still a little swollen.
Tue, 13 Mar 2018

Greetings from HealthcareMagic!

I understand your concern.

Swelling in arms &hands whole sleeping can be due to-

1. Faulty sleeping posture/exposure to cold
2. Small joint swellings in hand/inflammation or water retention ( indicating liver,kidney or heart problem needs to be examined by expert &investigated as per need),
3. High sodium intake
4. Your husband needs consultation of your family physician & primary investigations to locate basic cause followed by expert referral as per need.
5. Till then-avoid pressure over hand while sleeping/avoid exposure to cold &cover hands with warm cloth while sleeping/reduce sodium salt intake .

Take specific treatment off causes a per advise.

Thanks,
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale,