Owl Image

What do I need to do before my husband has open heart surgery ?

Thu, 17 Dec 2009
There are many things you can do to prepare for this. If you are employed, make sure you have made your boss aware that you will be off work. Average length of stay after this surgery is 3-5 days. Also there will be follow up appointments and possibly some outpatient rehab. Your husband will not be able to drive or work for a while, so this may also require you to take time off work. If you have kids at home, think about what needs to be done there. Do you need to have someone watch them while you are at the hospital? Get your house in order. Clean, stock the pantry, etc. Will you be out of town? Do you need someone to check your house or feed a pet while you're gone? Will you need a hotel room? Your husband probably did various things around the house that you may not normally do like mowing/snow blowing. Get someone lined up to help with those type of things. Take help when it's offered. If you have a large amount of family and friends who know about the surgery consider developing a system to keep people informed on your husbands progress. Try a "call tree" where you call one person and then they call another and so forth. That way you don't have 50 people calling everyday to check up on you and your husband. Think about things you can take to the hospital to pass time (books, magazines, crossword puzzles, laptop, etc.). Also consider getting a Healthcare Power Of Attorney and a Living Will. At least make sure you know what your husbands wishes are if things don't go well. Would he want to be hooked up to machines or fed thru a tube for an extended length of time? Get as much done as you can so you can focus on supporting your husband.