Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What diet should I take for high cholesterol?

my daughters husband has just been told that he has got high colestrial .what type of diet should he be doing eg foods to eat /not eat ... thankyou
Asked On : Sat, 24 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello. Thanks for writing to HCM.
The type of foods to be avoided are fat rich foods or foods with high content of unsaturated fatty acids. he should avoid fried junk foods and prefer home cooked food with minimal oil. Diet should be such that 30% of intake is composed of carbohydrates, 30-40% of protein, 20 % fats and rest by bulk forming foods like salads, fruits and yoghurt. Egg yolks are to be avoided as is red meat.
Take care
Answered: Sat, 24 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dietitian & Nutritionist Neha Chandna's  Response reduce cholesterol he need to get active and do some sort of exercise for 1 hour daily like brisk walks/ jog/ dance etc.. eat high fiber foods like fruits,nuts, salads, oats, jowar, brown rice etc..avoid butter, refined foods, bakery products, egg yolks, red meat and fried foods.. include olive oil as a part of the diet and take fish oil capsules daily as omega 3 in it helps to reduce cholesterol.. drink lot of water.. rest well..
Answered: Fri, 30 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor