Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
124 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What course of treatment should be done for chlamydia?

I was diagnosed with Chlamydia and treated accordingly about 3 weeks ago. I estimate that I was carrying the STI for about 2-3 months, and I am worried that I have developed PID. Would the antibiotic treatment for the infection have treated that as well, or must I seek further treatment?
Tue, 12 Mar 2019
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Since you have a history of having Chlamydia infection from 2-3 months you need to abstain from sex till you are getting treated.

Your treating doctor will give you a course of Azithromycin or Doxycycline for about 14 days. In case you have HIV you may be prescribed antivirals as well.

Ideally, the infection clears off but in some patients with serious infections associated with PID may require a longer time to get well.

They are commonly given intravenous antibiotics along with intravenous fluid for faster recovery.

You need to get follow up treatment after 3 months to ensure you are infection free. Your partner should also be treated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr Nupur K, General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

my wife (57)had TAH recently .following histological analysis result:cervicitis,papillary carcinomy in both ovaries.had six chemo of carboplatin...