Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What could the cause of swollen lymph node on the side of the neck ?

Hi Doctor, Currently I am suffering from a swalloen lymph node on right side of my neck for 1 month. It has grown rapidly in size in 4-5 days and remained in that position. I have taken azithromycin and methylprednisolone to decrease the swelling but it did not worked. Done ultrasound and it shows 3/3.5 centimeter large node. No other swelling in neck or throat. Thyroid is normal in ultrasound. But i the blood work thyroid was 6.83 ( TSH ) in the first test, and in the second test it was 3.07. Blood count is also normal. No weight loss in 1 month. Now i have been advised to take clindamycin hcl 300 mg capsules thrice a day. But from yesternight I am feeling feverish and body aches. Could you suggest if there is any posibilty of cancer in my body? I have also scheduled a CAT scan in coming tuesday. Please suggest as I am very worried about cancer and I am only 28 years old.
Asked On : Sat, 4 Feb 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  549
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Oncologist, Radiation 's  Response
3.5Cm enlarge node ,unilateral is some what significant adenopathy.Head and neck
Cancer with adenopathy neck may some time present with unknown primary disease. i should suggest that go for FNAC of node that gives exact clue whether it has spread cancer from some head and neck primary cancer. also it gives clue whether it is due to some infective reactory changes. squamous cell cancer is found 90% case if its cancer. i also suggest to have direct laryngeal examination get done.
Answered: Mon, 9 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. M Agarwal's  Response
Hello. Unilateral isolated lymph node enlargement can be due to a variety of neoplastic/ non-neoplastic, infective or non- infective causes. They can be ruled out by step-wise performance of investigations as routine blood investigations, Montoux's test and most importantly an FNAC which will actually reveal the nature of cells forming the enlargement. It would definitely not be a simple pyogenic enlargement as it would have healed with broad spectrum antibiotics. So, you need to visit a physician who will guide you on these investigations and then decide the plan of action. take care.
Answered: Sat, 4 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor