Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

What could make your heart get enlarged ?

I went to the heart doctor yesterday and he said the top part of my heart had enlarged. I am 39 years old. I dont have nor have I ever had high blood pressure. I do have mitral valve prolapse. Could this cause this to happen. What other things could cause this to happen. This is something that I was not born with, it just happened.
Thu, 7 Apr 2011
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
There are man reasons for enlarged heart.

But taking into consideration that you have an underlying condition of mitral valve prolapse, this favours the most possible cause.

Prolapses are known to cause, enlarged heart.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
I'm assuming they did an echo to tell you that it was enlarged? If it was diagnosed by a chest x-ray, ask for an echo. Sometimes arrhythmias can cause the top part of your heart to become mildly dilated/enlarged. Do you have palpitations? Ask your doctor for more clarification on this finding to make sure you don't need any other type of testing or workup. Good luck!
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor