What could cause pain behind the knees?

My 18 year old grandson, a junior college basketball player, is experiencing sharp pain starts behind his knees on both legs. His legs tingle like they are asleep. Has been going on all day, but getting worse. They lifted weights the past couple of days.... chest and back. Should he go to an ER?
Mon, 27 Aug 2018

Pain in both legs with numbness indicates disc pathology with nerve compression and it may have happened due to weight lifting. tell him to stop weight lifting. Take rest on hard bed. Tablet Pregalin x75 mg one at bedtime helps in relieving pain and numbness. Visit to orthopedic surgeon for detailed clinical examination is recommended. MRI of the lumbo sacral spine needs to bed done.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Jayesh Vaza