What could cause neck pain?

I have been experiencing pulsating sharp pains inside the right side of my neck, for the past couple of weeks. Sometimes I only have this a couple of times a day, sometimes 3 or 4. It feels like I m being zapped in my neck with quick electric shocks, and it is painful. These episodes last about 3 to 5 mins. It happens only in one spot in my neck, and I m getting worried about it. I get a very slight ache in the temple area after an episode. Can you help me identify what might be causing this, and what should I do about it
Fri, 6 Sep 2019
Cardiologist 's  Response

Your symptoms could be related to occipital neuralgia.

Coming to this point, I would recommend performing a cervical spine X-ray study and some blood lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation).

In the meantime, I recommend taking Indomethacin 150mg twice daily for a week (if there are no contraindications).

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist