What could bony prominence on neck disappearing with head movement be?

I have a boney prominence on my neck about a few inches from my hairline. I noticed it about two weeks ago. It feels like its on my actual spine but off a little like my spine is out of place. it s hard NOT soft. Just hard. It seems it disappears as I move my head back. Should I see my family doctor?
Mon, 14 Jan 2019

It could be a cyst in skull skin or could be a muscle pull since one strong muscle is attached in that bone. Take painkillers, muscle relaxants and local heat for 7-10 days and if there is no improvement, consult your physician.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Gopal Goel's  Response

It could be a cyst in the skull skin, being close to the bone, it may feel hard. Take painkillers, muscle relaxants and local heat for 7-10 days and if there is no improvement, consult your physician.

Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon